The earliest inhabitants of this area were the Seneca Indians. This large, powerful tribe’s capital was a village near what is now the corner of County Roads 4 and 6 — the present site of the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station. The Finger Lakes region is known for its wine industry, scenic views, lakeside fun and rural beauty.
The Town of Geneva is a growing community, about fifty miles east of Rochester and west of Syracuse; it was recognized as a Town on November 15, 1872. While the Town has retained its agricultural roots, it has grown with commercial and tourism related development.
Our priorities are retaining the character of our community, remaining in a leadership position in the region, striking an appropriate balance between economic development and quality of life, and operating in a fiscally prudent manner. The town has for many years managed without a property tax to fund general operations, relying on funding from other sources, primarily the town's share of county sales tax receipts.
The Town of Geneva is a leader in sustainable living, providing residents with 100% New York renewable energy as the default electricity supplier, providing a comprehensive Recycling and Disposal Station for residents, and spearheading other green initiatives like regular Fix-It Clinics. The Town is a Climate Smart community and practices Smart Growth through its zoning code and development standands. Come grow with us!